Managing Your Cholesterol

355 million prescriptions for statin drugs were written world wide last year for lowering serum cholesterol to reduce the risk of heart disease.  However, heart disease remains the number one killer after decades of statin use. There is no doubt that statin drugs do lower cholesterol but what if cholesterol is not the risk factor of heart disease we have been taught to fear? Here are some facts you should know about cholesterol: Cholesterol is the key molecule that allows us to have mobility and a nervous system. Without it we would cease to move and we would die. Cholesterol is absolutely essential to the cell membranes of all of our cells.   The brain desperately needs cholesterol to function.   Cholesterol helps you build vitamin D3 and vital hormones. The liver produces 75% of our body’s cholesterol.  So even if we ate no cholesterol we would still have it, thankfully.  Diet contributes the other 25% of our total cholesterol. How did cholesterol become demonized? In the early 1900’s a German researcher found plaques in the arteries of corpses and theorized that cholesterol was the cause.  Over the 20th century, the theory snowballed, gathering momentum from flawed studies and statistics until we had the big dietary cholesterol scare and resultant low fat diet in the 80’s. It is time we laid the myth to rest. Here is what we now know about arterial plaque: We have been taught that low density lipo proteins (LDLs). are “bad cholesterol.”  LDLS are particles whose job is to carry non-water-soluble vital nutrients such as fats, cholesterol, vitamin D and anti-oxidants through the blood stream.  ...